7 Simple Tips to Stimulate Fat Burning + 3 Recipes
Do you suffer from stubborn body fat and do you want to know how to lose it in the short term? Then you’ve come to the right place!
Sometimes losing weight and losing fat in the well-known problem areas seems an impossible task. Fortunately, there are several things you can do to stimulate fat burning.
Give your metabolism a boost and burn more body fat with the effective fat burning tips in this article, supported by scientific research.
What you will learn:
- The main reason why you do not burn fat
- Which natural fat burner I recommend to use
- Exercises that you can do at home and stimulate fat burning
- The best scientifically proven tips that you can apply to be slim within a few months
- And much, much more ..
What is Fat Burning?
So you want to know how you can burn more fat?
Then you’re fine here, because I wrote this blog before.
Everyone has their own goals when it comes to weight loss and health.
But if you want to reduce body fat, it is useful to know how fat burning works exactly.
I’m going to explain it briefly, so pay attention!
As soon as we eat something, our body converts the eaten food into glucose.
Glucose is an important energy source for the body. The body makes insulin to absorb glucose from the blood in the cells.
While glucose moves through our bloodstream, our pancreas produces the hormone insulin.
Insulin can be seen as the gatekeeper of our cells and opens the door through which glucose can penetrate and can be used for energy needs. Without it, our cells cannot be fed.
What happens if we eat more than we need?
In addition to brain cells and muscle cells, we also have fat cells. If we have more glucose than we can use, the excess amount is stored in the liver as glycogen.
The body can only store a limited amount of glycogen in the liver. If it is full, the excess amount will be stored in our fat cells, where it is converted into fat.
When the body needs more energy or glucose as a result of a strict diet or physical activity – and we have no food at hand, it turns to the fat cells.
The free fatty acids leave our fat cells and go straight back into the bloodstream to feed all our other body cells.
This ensures the burning of body fat.
This natural process of fat storage if you have too much glucose and burn fat if you do not have enough glucose, is how it should work in theory.
Unfortunately, most people do not even come close to eating a healthy diet.
As a result, we do not benefit optimally from this natural process. We eat unhealthily and rarely stimulate fat burning.
You do not get off your belly? Accelerate the fat burning process with these practical tips!
7 Tips for Stimulating Fat Burning
Tip # 1: Intermittent Fasting
Are you looking for an effective way to stimulate fat burning without having to do too much?
Then intermittent fasting is something for you!
In addition to weight loss and fat burning, intermittent fasting offers many more health benefits.
I will treat those health benefits in a moment.
Later on, I go deeper into intermittent fasting.
Intermittent fasting, also known as periodic fasting, has increased enormously in popularity in recent years.
It is quite simple to apply.
What should you do?
- Choose one or two days in the week that you will fast 24 hours. That means you do not get a calorie that day. You must eat normally on the other days.
Why is intermittent fasting so effective for fat burning?
Because with periodic fasting your body is forced to use fat reserves for energy. This results in fat burning and eventually weight loss.
When you eat, your body uses glucose (sugar) as the primary energy source and stores what remains as glycogen in your muscles and liver.
The moment your body is unable to absorb enough glucose, the glycogen starts to break down to use as fuel.
After the glycogen has been used up, alternative sources of energy, such as fat cells, are sought, which are then broken down to supply your body with energy.
This is similar to the ketogenic diet, where the intake of carbohydrates is drastically reduced, and your body is forced to use stored fat as a source of energy.
A review article looked at the effects of fasting every other day on the body composition of participants with a duration of 3 to 12 weeks.
The research results showed that the day of fasting is very effective to stimulate fat burning. Participants weighed on average 7% less than their take-off weight and the fat loss was almost 5.5 kg (source)!
Another study, in which participants had to follow the 16/8 method of periodic fasting, also showed that fasting is good for fat burning.
An additional advantage was that both muscle mass and muscle strength were retained (source).
For this reason, I also recommend strength training or fitness with intermittent fasting.
And the other health benefits of intermittent fasting then?
The list of benefits is endless:
- It improves the body’s resistance to oxidative stress (source, source)
- It improves blood pressure, total and LDL cholesterol, triglycerides (fats in the blood) and blood sugar levels (source, source).
- It stimulates autophagy, a protective process in which old cells are broken down and unwanted waste products leave the body (source, source).
- It has been established in rats that fasting stimulates the production of new nerve cells from the stem cells (source, source).
So you see: what is good for the body is also good for the brain.
Are you looking for more information on how to start periodically fast?
Any type of sport that is trained with resistance (weight) on the muscles is good for stimulating fat burning and getting a slimmer physical.
The problem with most (crash) diets is that people create such a caloric deficit, that this is also at the expense of their muscles.
If you follow a strict diet, this can affect your metabolism. This is the natural response of the body to long-term calorie restriction.
When you get too few calories to function normally, your body adapts by reducing the amount of energy it uses.
Both muscle mass and fat mass will be used as an energy source.
By exercising regularly in the gym, you can prevent this muscle loss and continue to burn your body fat (source).
Training intensity is more important than heart rate.
Now I hear you sigh and think I’m rather lazy than tired ..
If you want to stimulate fat burning and dislike sports, make sure you drag yourself to the gym at least a few times a week (2-3).
Training with weights for only fifteen minutes is enough to temporarily increase your metabolism.
This is also referred to as the afterburn effect (EPOC) and means that you also burn extra calories in sports.
The best part is that the energy used to help your body recover is almost entirely derived from body fat!
Strength Training and Fitness is also Suitable for Women
Some women are afraid that they will look too masculine due to strength training or fitness. This fear of muscle growth and a male physical is unfounded.
Strength training and fitness is also suitable for women!
That proves an American study in which 31 healthy women between the ages of 24 and 32 had to train for six months with weights (source).
The women did slightly less than an hour of strength training exercises followed by half an hour of cardio training four times a week. On the fifth day, running was done.
The researchers made scans to see how the body composition of the women changed as a result of the program.
Six months of training resulted in an increase of 2% in the lean body mass (body weight without body fat). The majority of this fat-free increase was in the legs, slightly less in the trunk muscles and hardly in the arms.
The change in fat mass was much more interesting.
The women lost on average 10% of their fat mass. Most fat burning occurred in the arms and around the waist.
The legs hardly lost any fat, but due to an increase in fat-free mass (including muscles), the legs will start to look tighter and more athletic.
Tip # 3: Drink Mainly (Cold) Water
Water is especially good for weight loss and stimulating fat burning if you replace it with other drinks that contain a lot of calories and sugars (source).
We often think that we are hungry while the body is actually just begging for water.
We can prevent this very simply by drinking a few glasses of water a day.
In addition to a healthy fluid balance and the removal of waste products, drinking water also helps to speed up your metabolism.
A study of fourteen healthy adults shows that drinking half a liter of water accelerates the metabolism by 30% for one hour (source).
I have often mentioned in my articles that drinking a glass of water before a meal helps to lose weight because water provides a fuller feeling.
But did you also know that by drinking water, not all the calories of a meal are absorbed by the body (source)?
And if all these facts are not enough to convince you that drinking more water contributes to fat burning: remember that water does not contain calories!
Let me first say that only cardio is not the best way to get rid of your tummy.
It is a tool to improve your cardiovascular health and stimulate fat burning.
I, therefore, recommend doing it in combination with the other fat burning tips described in this article.
What do we mean by cardio?
Cardio is a form of aerobic training.
With an aerobic workout, the body has enough time to supply oxygen and make energy from fat as well as muscle mass.
Cardio can be done in various ways:
- To Jog
Cardio has been shown to be good for heart muscles and blood vessels. It also contributes to improved breathing and weight loss (source).
Several studies show that cardio can be effective in reducing visceral fat.
- Visceral fat is the dangerous belly fat that settles around the organs and can cause metabolic diseases (source, source).
Weight loss is often the most successful if you eat a little less and at the same time start to move more.
Do you want to lose weight with cardio?
Make sure you do cardio for at least four times in the week for half an hour.
In a study, 80 men and women with considerable overweight were subjected to 30-minute cardio sessions (source) for 8 weeks.
The participants were divided into four groups:
- A control group that did nothing at all
- A group that trained once a week
- A group trained two to three times a week
- A group trained four times a week or more
After 8 weeks the researchers again measured the fat mass of the participants.
It should come as no surprise that the group that had trained four times or more had lost the most fat: an average of 6 kg.
The participants who trained 1-3 times a week lost only 2 kilograms of body fat.
Your food choices make a huge difference when it comes to losing weight or gaining.
Most people who struggle with obesity also suffer from high blood pressure, insulin resistance and increased cholesterol levels.
Eating sugars and refined carbohydrates ensure that the body can not effectively burn fat.
The cause of too much belly fat and overweight is an unhealthy lifestyle.
When it comes to a good nutrition tip, increasing your daily protein intake is a simple way to lose weight and burn more fat.
You can also use whey protein (a by-product of the cheese industry).
Whey protein is so effective because it is a better absorbable protein source than any other type of food or supplement, and it is easily digested.
The proteins in whey protein are of the highest quality because they contain all essential amino acids.
You can not make your own amino acids yourself and you have to remove them from your diet.
Protein shakes to reduce appetite and regulate blood sugar levels.
Protein-rich diets can also play a role in stimulating fat burning.
A Dutch study concluded that there is a link between increasing protein intake and fat burning.
In the study, men and women with normal weight were divided into two groups. The control group consumed 59 grams of protein (from normal food) per day for three months.
The higher protein group ate 80 grams of protein (normal food + protein shake) per day for the same duration. Both groups were put on the same diet so that the weight remained stable.
After three months, the body composition of the participants in the control group remained unchanged. However, the protein group lost 1 kg of body fat and received 1.5 kg of lean body mass (source).
- How many grams of protein per day is recommended? Make sure you ingest at least 1 gram of protein per kilo of body weight.
Tip # 5: High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)
Warning: this training form is not for the wimps!
To achieve good fat burning results, high-intensity interval training (HIIT) should certainly not be missing in this list.
With a HIIT workout, you do exercises in which short periods of high-intensity alternate with short recovery periods.
The exercises are repeated several times in succession. A high-intensity interval training usually lasts between 15 and 30 minutes.
Since most people today do not have enough free time to exercise, HIIT is a great way to get results quickly.
A study compared calories burned for 30 minutes with HIIT, strength training, running and cycling. In this study, a HIIT repetition consisted of 20 seconds maximum effort, followed by 40 seconds of rest.
The researchers discovered that HIIT burned 25-30% more calories than the other sports (source).
This phenomenon is due to the way the body uses more oxygen to recover after intense physical activity.
What makes HIIT so special is the intensity of the training and the higher afterburning (afterburn effect) after the training that can amount to burning a few hundred calories.
Another study showed that only two minutes of HIIT in the form of sprints can increase oxygen consumption (EPOC) to 24 hours, which equals 30 minutes of running (source).
For many, breakfast is still the most important meal of the day.
The general view is that eating a balanced breakfast stimulates the metabolism and helps to reduce the feelings of hunger for the rest of the day.
But in principle, it makes little difference whether you have breakfast or not, as long as you eat healthy for the rest of the day.
Starting the day with breakfast is not a way to speed up your metabolism. On the contrary, skipping breakfast stimulates your metabolism and fat burning.
People who periodically fast and do not eat for a period of 16 hours often skip breakfast. The food window is then limited to 8 hours a day.
That said, it is not for all a realistic option. Some people swear by breakfast. And that is fine too, as long as it is healthy and varied.
Think of proteins and healthy fats. Eating more proteins and fats ensures that you become saturated faster and longer (source).
But if you personally notice that skipping breakfast helps you control overweight, then it might be a good option for you.
Tip # 7: Exposure to Cold
There is another way to burn hundreds of calories without sweating.
In fact, you do not have to do anything for it.
No, I’m not kidding ..
What am I talking about? Expose your body to cold temperatures!
Go more often on the floor with someone who never turns on the heating.
Here it is scientific evidence:
In a study, 6 healthy men between the ages of 23 and 42 were put in a cold room of 18 degrees. The participants burned 250 extra calories in a time period of 3 hours (source).
In another study, participants (who were already slim) lost 5% of their fat percentage after having to spend 2 hours a day in a room with a room temperature of 17 degrees (source) for 6 weeks.
Maybe you now think how can it be that this works so well?
That is pretty simple. Your body will do everything to maintain a normal body temperature of 37 degrees.
Exposure yourself to cold temperatures, your body will have to work harder to create enough heat.
Cold temperature also activates the brown fat in your body. The nice thing about brown grease is that it uses white grease to burn energy and keep you warm.
You can increase the calorie burn a little by wearing fewer clothes at home. One of the reasons why some people burn little fat despite living in a cold climate is because they dress too warmly.
Wait for a second! Do not go running around naked in your own garden enthusiastically.
Besides that your neighbors probably do not appreciate it, it is also wiser to build it up quietly.
Gradually expose yourself to cold temperatures, the best thing you can do.
And too cold temperatures are unhealthy and even dangerous. As you have read, you can achieve excellent results at a temperature of 19 and 17 degrees.
Or you take a cold bath as I did also:
* Disclaimer: Never expose your body to intense cold for more than 5 minutes. This is not effective and can even lead to hypothermia!
The Best Diet for Fat Burning
Are you considering a low-carbohydrate diet for fat burning? Or are you wondering what the keto diet will do to your waist?
Then read along.
Most people today only burn sugars instead of fats because they continually process carbohydrates and sugars.
Switching to a low-carbohydrate diet helps to significantly reduce your body fat.
If you eat less (refined) carbohydrates, you force your body to burn fat as fuel.
Your body is forced to switch from sugar burn (the glucose that you get from carbohydrates) to fat burning.
Research has shown that eating more protein during a low-carbohydrate diet is beneficial for weight loss (source).
Another diet that I recommend for fat burning is the ketogenic diet.
With the keto diet, your body is in ketosis and switches to fat reserves as the main energy source.
The only drawback to the keto diet is that it is not for everyone.
It takes a lot of effort and dedication to keep the diet full and completely banish carbohydrates from your life. You can also suffer from unpleasant side effects, such as the keto flu.
In any case, NEVER start with a crash diet!
Following a strict low-calorie diet can be harmful to your health in the long term.
Why Stimulate Fat Burning with Pills is Nonsense
Are you irritating to your high-fat percentage and are you looking for a quick solution to stimulate fat burning?
Do not think that weight loss pills are the solution to all your health problems.
It may be tempting to try slimming tablets that are sold as fat burners.
Most fat burning pills on the market can be divided into three types:
Thermogenic fat burners: should give the metabolism a boost, so that your body temperature increases and you burn more calories.
Appetite suppressants: would reduce appetite so that you are not hungry and eat less food.
Fat blockers: would block the absorption of nutrients (such as fat), resulting in fewer calories.
But before you decide to experiment, it is important to know that most fat burning pills and so-called wonder drinks do more harm than good.
This type of fat burning products can cause unexpected side effects and interactions with other medications.
Common complaints are:
- Sleep problems
- An uneasy and nervous feeling
- Dehydration symptoms
These complaints can arise from the added active ingredients that should trigger the metabolism.
One of the most popular fat burning pills was Ephreda. This stacker was also extremely popular in the Netherlands. Ephreda gave a long lasting energy boost, reduced appetite and caused weight loss.
It was the gift from heaven for many strength athletes and overweight people.
Until the slimming agent came under fire because many users suffered from psychological and physical complaints. In 2004 Ephreda was banned in the Netherlands.
As you can see, these are not relatively harmless side effects such as a little headache or frequent urination, but in some cases very dangerous side effects.
Which Supplements Stimulate Fat Burning?
Most slimming tablets on the market do not work. The handful of pills that do something are often perilous and rightly forbidden.
Then there are few options left over you would think ..
Yet that is not entirely true.
There are safe and natural supplements that can stimulate fat burning (somewhat).
Omega-3 fatty acids
Omega-3 fatty acids are a specific type of polyunsaturated fatty acids, which means that they contain more than one double bond in their chemical structure.
Omega 3 fatty acids are not only important for the body and the brain in order to function properly.
Both fish oil and the more qualitative krill oil contain omega 3.
If you decide to buy a fish or krill oil supplement, pay attention to the EPA and DHA content. EPA and DHA are the two fish fatty acids that provide health benefits.
Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA)
CLAs are animal trans fats that occur naturally in milk fat and meat fat. It is particularly popular in America as a weight loss supplement.
CLA can reduce appetite and stimulate fat burning somewhat.
A summary article from 18 different studies has shown that CLA causes a modest weight loss. The participants lost 0.1 kg per week of weight for 6 months, then the effect decreased (source).
Another review study also confirms that CLA can help with weight loss: 1.3 kg of weight loss compared to a placebo pill (source).
Is CLA safe to use as a natural fat burner?
But to be honest, CLA’s contribution to weight loss seems almost nil. There are many better ways to lose weight.
And omega-3 fatty acids? Omega-3 fatty acids are indispensable for the body. So use it!
9 Exercises to Stimulate Fat Burning
Are you looking for good exercises that increase your metabolism and help you burn fat?
Then I have some nice exercises for you.
I have 9 exercises for you that turn your body into a fat-burning machine. And the best part is that you can do most of the exercises at home!
What makes a good workout?
A good fat burning workout consists of exercises that load multiple muscle groups at the same time.
Make sure you do the exercises below properly and you will burn calories, increase your metabolism and build muscle. All this leads to maximum fat burning!
- Important: Do at least 4 sets per exercise and 12 repetitions per set.
#1: Goblet Squat
- Stand with your feet slightly further apart than shoulder width.
- Hold a dumbbell vertically in front of your chest and the upper part with both hands and elbows down
- Go back with your hips until your thighs are parallel to the ground
- As you go down, imagine that you screw your feet into the floor by actively pushing your ankles, lower legs and thighs out.
- Return to the starting position
# 2: Dumbbell Farmers Walk
- Hold a pair of sturdy dumbbells with both hands and walk 10-20 meters.
- Keep your chest forward and shoulders backward.
- Squeeze the dumbbells to extra tension your muscles
# 3: Box Squat Jump
- Squat down with the arms stretched forward while pushing your butt as far back as possible
- Sit back on the small squat box (if there is one), swing your arms forward and jump immediately onto the raised platform
- Make sure that your body is placed upright on the box.
- Return to starting position
# 4: Dumbbell Walking Lunge
- Stand with your feet at hip-width apart and hold dumbbells in your hands
- This is your starting position.
- Step forward with one leg and bend the knees to lower your hip.
- Keep lowering until your rear knee almost touches the ground
- Your posture must stay upright and your foremost knee must be in line with your front foot.
- Make sure that your front knee does not extend beyond your toes when you come down.
- This is bad for the knee joint
- Step forward with your back foot and repeat the exercise with the other leg
# 5: Deadlift
- Go with both feet under the bar and adopt a hip width posture.
- Push your hips backward and bend forward until your torso is almost parallel to the floor.
- Grasp the bar with a double overhand grip on shoulder width.
- Hold the breath and lift the rod until your back is upright.
- Make sure you just bend your back not too far backward.
- Return the rod to the ground and repeat the desired number of repetitions.
# 6: Dumbbell Shoulder Press
- Sit on a bench with back support and hold a dumbbell in each hand
- Place the dumbbells upright on your thighs
- Now raise the dumbbells up to shoulder height one by one
- Make sure you turn your wrists so that the palms face forward. This is your starting position.
- Now exhale and push the dumbbells up until they touch each other.
- Then, after a short pause, let the weights slowly sink back to the starting position.
# 7: Burpees
- Squat down and put your hands on the floor as if you are going to do a push-up
- Jump back with both feet so that you are now in the plank position
- Do a pushup, your chest should touch the floor
- Push yourself up to return to the plank position
- Move your feet towards your hands and then jump up explosively
- Extend your arms right above your head
# 8: Jumping Jacks
- Stand with a slight bend in the knees and your hands resting on the thighs
- Jump with your feet apart and let your arms come over your head
- Return to the starting position and repeat the exercise
# 9: Mountain Climbers
- Begin in a planking position with the legs straight and the arms down.
- Keep your stomach muscles tight and your back straight
- Move your right knee towards your chest
- Switch quickly and pull the left knee.
- At the same time, push your right leg back and pull your right knee towards the chest
- You are now making a running move
- Make sure your back stays a straight line and your head does not hang down.
- The stability of your back is crucial for the exercise to be able to perform well
With Which Sport Can You Stimulate Fat Burning The Most?
Have you ever wondered which sport gives the best results when it comes to burning fat?
It is an interesting question to think about.
When we talk about sports, most people think of football or hockey.
But there are so many more sports you can practice that are healthy and provide a reduction in your fat percentage.
Here are some sports that you can practice if you want to lose weight and improve your health:
Swimming is not only a pleasant activity, but it is also very healthy for your body because you use almost all muscle groups.
With a half hour of fanatic swimming, you burn hundreds of calories.
Swimming also increases your stamina and improves your body posture.
Taking a job is also ideal for older people because the risk of muscle or joint injuries with swimming is very small.
Nowadays you no longer have to go to the Alps to be able to climb a rock.
There are many climbing halls that offer this activity.
If you are completely done with fitness or running and you want to try something exciting but also safe, then this is a great sport for you.
With indoor wall climbing, all your muscles are addressed during climbing.
Rowing provides muscle strength and improving your fitness. Last but not least: rowing becomes a fat-burning machine!
There are many more sports to stimulate fat burning.
- Discover in this article the most and least effective sports to burn calories.
- Discover how you can lose weight without a diet in this article.
3 Recipes to Increase Your Fat Burning
Recipe # 1: Fried Salmon Salad with Apples
What do you need:
- 300 grams of salmon
- 2 apples
- Head of Roman lettuce
- Shaved olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Pepper and salt
- Fry the salmon over medium heat with a dash of olive oil
- Discuss the salmon with some lemon juice
- Divide the lettuce on a plate
- Cut the apple into slices
- Place the salmon and the apple pieces on the salad
Recipe # 2: Omelet with Vegetables
What do you need:
- 2 eggs
- 2 mushrooms
- 2 carrots
- 1 cm of fresh ginger
- 1/2 stalk of celery
- 1/2 onion (white or red)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Beat the eggs and add some pepper and salt.
- Cut the half onion into rings.
- Peel the ginger and cut it as finely as possible.
- Cut the celery and carrot into slices that are as thin as possible. The mushrooms can also be cut into thin slices.
- Put everything together and add the garlic (pressed) and the turmeric.
- Mix together.
- Heat the coconut oil in a pan and add the beaten eggs.
- Sprinkle with the ingredients and bake until the omelet comes free from the pan.
- Throw and fry for a few minutes on the other side.
Recipe # 3: Herring Salad with Avocado
What do you need:
- 2 herrings
- 200 grams of mixed lettuce
- 1 avocado
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 pickle
- 3 spring onions
- Pepper and salt
- If necessary, remove the chips from the herring.
- Then cut the herring into small pieces.
- Cut the pickles, tomatoes, spring onions and avocado into small cubes.
- Wash the lettuce and dry it.
- Put the lettuce, pickles, spring onions, tomatoes, avocado and herring in a bowl.
- Sprinkle some lemon juice over it and add pepper and salt to taste if necessary.
In short, focus on nutrition if you want to stay healthy!
Important: Leave your reaction and any additions below.
If you like this blog, share it with your friends, customers, colleagues – Tommy