Buying the best rowing machine with the TOP 9 of 2018!
The rowing machine is one of the best ways to train your body and burn fat from all fitness equipment! It is suitable for menand women of all ages and by the adjustable resistance for people of all levels.
But if you want to buy a good rowing machine for home, what should you pay attention to? There are many different types and the prices vary from 150 to 2000 Dollars.
In this article, I will show you exactly what you need to look out for when buying a rowing machine. I also give you my top 9 best rowing machines of this moment.
Look quickly for the best rowing machine at the moment!
You will find this in this article:
- The different types of rowing machines
- What should you pay attention to when buying a rowing machine?
- The top 9 best rowing machines of 2018
- The advantages of a rowing machine
- Advice for correct rowing movement
The different types of rowing machines
The best rowing machines can be divided into four types. The difference is in the system with which the resistance is controlled. Below I explain the differences and the advantages and disadvantages of the different types.
Hydraulic rowing machine
A hydraulic rowing machine uses cylinders that are filled with gas as a resistance system.
A hydraulic rowing machine has the following advantages and disadvantages:
- more space than other types
- Pistons have a relatively short lifetime
- the movement does not really look like a real rowing movement
Magnetic rowing machine
With a magnetic rowing device, a magnet is used as a resistance system. Rowing with a magnetic resistance is adjustable via the display or keys.
The pros and cons of a magnetic rowing machine:
- Accurate resistance
- like a true rowing motion
- Much more expensive than a hydraulic rowing machine
Air resistance rowing machine
An air resistance rowing machine uses air to regulate the resistance. When you row harder you will have to use more power.
- gives a more pleasant rowing motion than a magnetic or hydraulic resistance
- like a true rowing motion
- Makes relatively a lot of noise
Water rowing machine
A water rowing machine uses water to determine the resistance. Rowing with this type of rowing machine is most like the movement you make when you row in real life. The resistance of the water will increase when you row harder.
- It most closely resembles a real rowing movement
- More expensive than other types
An air resistance or a water rowing machine give the best rowing experience and these types can also be seen in the top models. These are of course more expensive the other type of rowing machines. But if you are looking for a rowing machine with the best experience, an air or water rowing machine is the best!
Buy rowing machine? You should definitely pay attention to this!
A good rowing machine is a huge investment. Do you want to buy the best rowing machine?
Then pay attention to the following properties:
A manufacturer who stands behind his product gives a long guarantee. That is why the guarantee period is a good indicator of the quality of the rowing machine. With a lot of fitness equipment, a distinction is made between the frame and other parts.
Maximum body length
Not important for everyone but if you are a little longer than the maximum body length is something to watch out for. There are rowing machines with a maximum body length of 180 cm. This will not be enough for many men.
Maximum load weight
The maximum load-bearing weight is a good indicator of the quality of the rowing machine. A sturdy construction can simply have more load-bearing weight than a less sturdy construction. Therefore, when selecting a good rowing machine, take the maximum load weight into account.
Rowing trainer tablility
A rowing machine has to stand firmly. Even if you train a lot with long strokes, the fitness equipment should simply remain to stand. A good rowing machine may not slide!
Top 10 best rowing machines for normal home use
The top of the best rowing machines is divided into 3 categories:
normal use – professional rowing machines and cheap rowing machines.
Below you will find the top 3 best rowing machines for normal use:
My choice for the best price/quality ratio!
JTX Freedom Air Rower: Foldable Superior Rowing Machine
- Robust air rowing machine: ideal for gym quality strength & endurance training. Available in silver or black.
- Combines air & electromagnetic resistance for a smooth workout. Ergonomic design for posture support. Dimensions: 225(l) x 58(w)x 86(h)
- 16 levels of resistance & 8 training programs. Heart rate controlled options with a FREE chest strap.
- The reinforced aluminum frame gives a stable rowing experience for users up to 130kg (20 stone). Easy fold system & transportation wheels allow this rowing machine to be folded away with ease.
- Buy with confidence: 2 years in home repair warranty, including all parts and labor.
My choice for the fanatical athlete!
Sportplus Indoor Rower – Rowing Machine with 24 Resistance Levels
- High-quality magnetic braking system with motor control, maintenance-free belt drive and 8 kg flywheel mass. Control resistance in 24 levels of intensity via computer.
- Cardiofit app compatible with integrated tablet holder – Training history management – Supports any number of user profiles – Features 18 different training programs.
- Computer integrated pulse receiver for 5 kHz chest straps. Heart rate measurement also possible via Bluetooth 4.0 compatible chest straps (recommendation: SP-HRM-BLE-400) in combination with the Cardiofit app.
- Dimensions approx. 179 x 51 x 72 cm (LxWxH) – Folded approx. 80 x 50 x 130 cm (LxWxH) – Max. user weight 150 kg – Extra long aluminium roller rail (110cm) – Max. user height 2 m – Ball bearing mounted & comfortable rudder seat
Sportplus Indoor Rowing Machine
- The high-quality and quiet magnetic braking system operates with approx. 8 kg flywheel mass. Control resistance in 8 levels of intensity via computer.
- The training computer with LCD display provides all important data such as the total number of strokes, approx. energy and calorie consumption, stroke frequency, time, pulse and distance.
- Computer integrated pulse receiver for 5 kHz chest straps.
- Floor level adjustment – Ball bearing rowing-seat – High-quality aluminium roller rails – Max. user weight 150 kg – Dimensions approx. 190 x 51 x 77 cm – Folded approx. 95 x 51 x 122 cm (LxWxH).
The top 3 professional rowing machines
Would you like a professional rowing machine for your home? Then you have a number of options. The professional rowing machines fall into a higher price range but of course, you get the best quality.
The best choice for a professional rowing machine is the Concept 2 Model D. Concept 2 is a top brand for rowing machines. This is the brand that is used in almost all fitness clubs! And the Concept 2 Model D is the best-selling model. If you want a top rowing machine then this is definitely the best choice! In this article, you can read more about the Concept 2 rowing machine if you want to!
The Waterrower Natural Oak on the 2nd spot gives the most natural experience. Do you want the same feeling as you row on the real water then you can choose the waterrower.
Concept2 Model D Indoor Rower with PM5 Monitor
- Indoor rowing is an effective full-body, low-impact workout. Flywheel design minimizes noise while maximizing a smooth feel.
- Includes the Performance Monitor 5, giving you accurate, comparable data for every row. Adjustable monitor arm.
- 35.5cm seat height, nickel-plated chain, adjustable footrests and ergonomic handle
- Easily separates into two pieces for storage. Caster wheels make it mobile.
- Requires footprint of 274 cm x 122 cm; 227kg capacity; 5-year frame warranty.
WaterRower Original Series Rowing Machine
My choice for the most true-to-life rowing experience!
- S4 Performance monitor
- Heart rate monitor compatible
- 5-year frame / 3-year parts commercial warranty
- Low maintenance
- No external power required
- Minimal footprint – stores upright
- Purification tablets, batteries, mini USB to connect to a PC and home training DVD included
- Handcrafted in the USA
Bodymax Infiniti R90 Rowing Machine
- Full Auto Controlled Air Magnetic Resistance System
- Easy-fold System, No Need to Kneel!
- full stroke for tall people plus foot pedals with easy size adjust
- Dual Colour Backlit LCD Console with 12 programs incl Heart Rate Control
- Optional extra – Infiniti Heart Rate Transmitter – wireless transmission of heart rate to computer: required for Heart Rate Control programs
Top 3 cheap rowing machines
Do the above rowing machines not fit within your budget? Then I have listed the top 3 cheap rowing machines for you.
In the first place is the Kettle Stroke. A good choice for the novice rower. This rowing machine offers an electronic resistance at a very competitive price with a max. user weight 130kg. And with a weight of 40 kg, this rowing machine is also reasonably stable. A top rowing machine for that price!
Is the budget the most important criteria for you? Then take a look at the Tunturi Cardio Fit R20. This is a very cheap rowing machine!
Kettler Stroker Rowing Machine
- Flywheel: 4kg (8.8lbs); Resistance: 8 Stages of Manual Magnetic Resistance;
- Single Handle Rowing Style; Console: LCD Monitor Display + Sweat Resistant Key Pad;
- Heart Rate Measurement: Via Ear Clip (Not Included); Feedback on Accumulated Distance Covered;
- Size in Use: L=218cm (85.8″), W=60cm (23.6″), H=98cm (38.6″); Transport Wheels: Yes;
- Max User Weight: 130kg (286.6lbs); Warranty: 3 Years Parts And
MAXSTRENGTH Magnetic Folding Rowing Machine Home Gym Rower Fitness Cardio
- 4 Levels Adjustable Tension
- User Weight Upto 120kg (Approx 18 Stone)
- Computer Monitors Time, Calories Burnt, Speed, Auto Scan, CPM (Counts Per Minute), Reps
- Foldable For Compact Storage, Fly Wheel Weight 7kg
- Dimension (L x W x H) 1935mm * 570mm * 800mm (Assembled Size)
Tunturi Unisex’s R20 Rower Machine, Black
Price: 185.00 USD
- An economical machine that features simple controls and isn’t overly complicated for the beginning or casual user
- Choose from 4 resistance levels to customize your workout
- Elastomer brake system
- Easy-to-read LCD display located on handlebars displays current speed, elapsed time, distance covered, calories burned, strokes per minute
- Easily foldable and transportwheels for easy storage
- Battery powered so free to train everywhere
The great advantages of a rowing machine
A good rowing machine is a great device for training your body and getting fit. It has several advantages.
Below are the most important advantages at a glance:
Burn fat and train muscles
The rowing machine is one of the best ways to train your whole body of all fitness equipment. It requires an equal effort from both the upper and lower body.
During the rowing you use the following muscles:
- Abdominal muscles
- Back muscles
- Arm muscles
So you train almost all the muscles of your body. 80% of your muscles are at work when you row. So you use both your lower and upper body. It can therefore rightly be called a full body workout. You improve both your fitness and your heart and your lungs with rowing. You build muscle mass with it and get stronger muscles.
With a rowing machine, you train almost all muscles
It is good to pay attention to your rowing technique, but if you use the right technique, the rowing machine affects the following muscles:
The moment you pull the handle towards your chest, your arms come into action. You tighten your biceps and triceps. With your arms, you make speed on the rowing machine.
Leg and buttock muscles
The rowing movement starts by stretching your legs. Because you push against the pedals and push the seat backward, you activate your calves, your thigh and your buttocks. Your hamstrings and shin muscles are also used. Although you would think that your arms are most commonly used when rowing, this is not the case: 50% of the workout is done by your legs.
Back and shoulder muscles
After your legs are stretched, you start working with your back and shoulder muscles. When rowing it is very important to pay attention to your posture. The back always stays straight. If you do not do this, you can get back problems. The back and shoulder muscles keep you in balance and you use them to lean back and forth.
The abdominal muscles are involved in every rowing movement. You put them in the backward movement, to keep yourself in balance, and to push yourself forward again.
During the training on a good rowing machine, you also burn a lot of calories. It is a good way to lose weight. It stimulates fat burning and provides stronger muscles. This combination is one of the great advantages of a rowing machine. Trained muscles need energy every day!
Try to train for longer periods of time at 85 percent of your maximum heart rate. This can help you burn fat! You can easily measure your heart rate during training with, for example, a Fitbit, sports watch or smartwatch.
Train easily at home with a rowing machine
You can easily train at home with a rowing machine. You are not dependent on an (expensive) sports subscription or on the weather for outdoor sports. No, with a rowing trainer you train when you have time and meaning and enjoy your own home.
You can also listen to music, watch a movie or watch your favorite series while exercising. A good rowing trainer workout is then done. Always be careful that your attitude is good.
Little chance of injuries
A correction execution of the rowing movement is very important. It prevents injuries and ensures that you optimally train the muscles. The attitude is very important.
Always ensure the following when rowing:
- always secure your feet
- Keep your back straight, so no hollow or convex back
- Your forearm and hand are in one line. Make sure your wrist is not bent.
In the video below you can see exactly how your posture should be during rowing:
Do you also like to train with a good rowing machine?
If you like this blog, share it with your friends, customers, colleagues – Tommy