Discover the metabolic syndrome diet: the best diet to become symptom-free again
The metabolic syndrome is the basis of various prosperity diseases as we know them today. That is why it is important to determine the metabolic syndrome at an early stage. So that something can be done on time, among other things with the help of the metabolic syndrome diet. When are you working to develop the metabolic syndrome?
The guideline for this is simple and as follows:
In women: waist circumference more than 88 centimeters
In men: waist circumference more than 102 centimeters
Metabolic syndrome diagnosis
The diagnosis can be made with certainty if two or more of the following symptoms are also present: ‘overweight, insulin resistance, high blood pressure, disturbed cholesterol levels and increased triglycerides’. Do you want to know if you are overweight too? Then do the overweight test.
Insulin resistance can be recognized by the following symptoms:
- Weight gain when eating carbohydrates
- Fatigue and energy dips after meals with carbohydrates (blood sugar dips)
- Thicker on your love handles
- Joint complaints
- Strong urge to be sweet
If you suffer from three or more symptoms then chances are that you have insulin resistance. The last three symptoms of the metabolic syndrome can be determined by your doctor.
Metabolic syndrome diet
The starting point is that the food is organic (EKO and Demeter) and preferably sustainable, so preferably comes away. I always choose as much pure, unprocessed food as possible. In BIO crops there are, on average, 20 to 40% more antioxidants than in conventionally grown crops and 4 to 30 times more salvestrols (a protective substance against cancer).
The products from the food industry such as ready-to-eat food, packaged food, sweets, pretzels and soft drinks do not occur in the metabolic syndrome diet. Vegetarians and vegans can adjust the metabolic syndrome diet as needed. Incidentally, most vegetarians and certainly vegans do well to take extra vitamin B12 (in egg yolk and dairy) as a supplement.
Metabolic syndrome diet: food
The solid food of the metabolic diet consists of a number of groups:
- Daily multiple servings of: vegetables, sprouts (such as alfalfa, watercress, broccoli, bean sprouts)
- Daily 2 pieces of fruit: currant, strawberry, blueberry, lemon, raspberry, grapefruit, papaya, orange, forest fruits, sour apples, kiwi and coconut
- Occasionally: other fruit and up to 2 pieces per day
- Daily: nuts, seeds, seeds
- Regular: avocado and olives
- Daily: vegetable oils for baking, such as extra virgin olive oil (medium heat), extra virgin olive oil and extra virgin olive oil (alternate between different oils)
- Daily: vegetable oils to be used cold, such as linseed oil extra virgin, extra virgin olive oil, hemp seed oil extra virgin, rapeseed oil, perilla oil, walnut oil, wheat germ oil (alternate between different oils)
- Occasionally: vegetable oils rich in omega-6 to use cold, such as sunflower oil, corn oil, safflower oil, sesame oil, grape seed oil
- Occasionally: animal fats for baking (unsalted butter and ghee)
- Bread spread: occasional butter, extra virgin olive oil (surprisingly different on special Mediterranean slices of bread), occasional extra virgin coconut oil
- During the week, vegetable proteins can be varied within the group: homemade meat substitutes, soy products, other legumes and mushrooms (eg shiitake)
- About 1 to 2 times per week and with variation within the group of animal proteins: whey protein powder, game, poultry, eggs and very limited meat: lamb, goat, sheep and beef
- About 2 to 3 times a week fatty fish: 2 large portions or 3 smaller portions of alternate herring, sardines, anchovies, mackerel, salmon
- Daily, in moderation, and with a lot of variety within the group of grains: spelled, Kamut, rice, oats, millet, barley, rye, buckwheat, teff, amaranth, quinoa
- Every day, preferably with acidic dairy products, or several times a week and with a lot of variety in the varieties: kefir, yogurt, curd cheese, goat yogurt and goat’s quark, buttermilk and coconut yogurt (is not a dairy product)
In moderation a dairy product such as cheese: preferably choose raw milk from cow, goat, sheep, Buffalo
Occasionally, especially in winter: soaked dried fruit, dried fruits such as raisins, apricots, prunes, figs and dates
Very moderate: natural unrefined sugars (honey, green stevia, palm sugar, coconut blossom sugar
Occasionally with tasty appetite: coconut cubes, chocolate (> 70%), homemade cake, cake or cake
You see that the group of animal proteins, grains and dairy products are indicated in moderation. This is because, generally speaking, we have started to eat excessively from these groups.
Add moderate natural salts such as Himalayan salt and Celtic sea salt. Make full use of herbs such as basil, thyme, parsley, dill, chives, rosemary, coriander, curry, Curcuma turmeric, cardamom, garlic and onion to flavor the dishes.
Eat easily and tastefully, many different types of food in one meal cause confusion in the digestion. Every one to two days a different vegetable, a different starch product and another protein source. This means that you do not always get the same type of food and therefore become less sensitive to this food. The heaviest meal digests best in the middle of the day when the digestive fire is strongest.
Chew well, enjoy the food and take the time to get it right after dinner.
If you definitely want a dessert, do not use it immediately after a meal, but wait an hour so that the digestion of the main meal is not disturbed.
Metabolic syndrome diet: drinking
The liquid food of the metabolic syndrome diet consists of a number of groups:
- Pure water and (herbal or green) tea from pure water: about 2 liters per day, of which at least half are water
- Freshly squeezed vegetable juice: one glass a day
- Freshly squeezed fruit juice: occasionally, take a small glass (prefer the whole fruit)
- Coffee, black tea: a maximum of 1 to 3 cups in total per day
- Coconut water: occasionally
- Vegetable milk: unsweetened oat dregs from Provamel or Oatly from time to time, unsweetened almond milk from Provamel every now and then, hemp milk from time to time
- Alcohol: very moderate and not daily, preferably (red) wine
- Liquid Food Directive total per day: 0.3 liters per kilogram of body weight
Metabolic syndrome: best treatment method
The best method of treatment for metabolic syndrome is weight reduction. The metabolic syndrome diet is suitable for losing your excess pounds. Make sure you continue to eat well and do not plan. Diets appear to have a counterproductive effect in practice. More than 90% of people are only getting fatter. In addition, move sufficiently, limit stress as much as possible, balance your hormones and work on your undermining behavioral patterns that stand in the way of losing weight.
Do you need extra help to get rid of your excess pounds? Twin Fit Personal Trainer
Take a look at what I can do for you as a Metabolic Health Coach/Personal trainer.
Another good article that I have written and can inspire you is: ‘9 Tips to Quickly Reduce Your Fat Percentage + Table & Schedule’
Here’s a three-day sample meal plan for metabolic syndrome:
|Day 1||Bowl of steel-cut oats cooked in water and almond milk. Sweeten with apple slices and stevia. Add chopped walnuts and a sprinkle of cinnamon.||Whole-grain pita wrap with grilled chicken, spinach leaves, onions, tomatoes, and hummus. Flavor with yogurt, tahini, and hot sauce.||Grilled or baked wild-caught salmon over brown rice or barley. Add a side of steamed spinach flavored with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, pine nuts, and ground pepper.|
|Day 2||Eggs scrambled in unsalted butter with green onions, mushrooms, and zucchini. Flavor with ground pepper and dried oregano. Add a side of sweet potato hash browns. (Microwave a sweet potato until soft, cut into cubes, and brown in olive oil.)||Salad bowl with greens, red onions, beets, bell pepper, cucumber, and apples. Drizzle homemade salad dressing made with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, orange juice, and herbs. Top with roasted chickpeas and walnuts.||Eggplant, zucchini, and whole-grain pasta casserole. Make the pasta sauce with fresh tomatoes or a can of unsalted chopped tomatoes. Flavor with ground pepper and fresh or dried herbs.|
|Day 3||Breakfast smoothie bowl made by blending half an avocado, berries, a banana, and Greek yogurt. Top with chia seeds and sliced almonds.||Lentil soup with whole-grain bread. Add a side salad of greens and vegetables with a drizzle of olive oil, vinegar, garlic flakes, and pepper.||Grilled chicken breast with roasted vegetables such as squash, bell peppers, and potatoes with the skin on. Flavor with unsalted butter, ground pepper, and dried herbs.|
Did you know that research shows that 1 in 3 just gains from a diet instead of losing weight? (source)
Discover how you lose several kilos per week with tasty and easy to make slimming recipes!
Good luck with keeping the metabolic storm out of your body!
Important: Leave your reaction and any additions below.
If you like this blog, share it with your friends, customers, colleagues – Tommy