Why am I always tired and have no energy? 6 tips to beat fatigue with your diet!
Do you have the feeling that you are always tired? That you can not get the most out of your day due to low energy!
Then it might be wise to take a look at your diet. Your diet has a big influence on your health and the amount of energy you have every day.
If you throw rubbish in your car every refueling your car does not run that well. The same applies to your body. If you give your body rubbish as fuel then it does not run that well.
Do you eat enough foods that give you the energy to get through the busy day? Or do you mainly eat a lot of simple carbohydrates and sugar-rich products that give you only a short time? And you eventually burn up.
To give you a helping hand, I give you six ways to defeat your fatigue with this article. Give it a try and maybe that chronic fatigue is over!
1. Feeling tired because of eating simple carbohydrates
Carbohydrates are an easy source of energy for our bodies. But with carbohydrates there are two things that are important:
- Choose complex carbohydrates
- do not eat too many carbohydrates
Simple carbohydrates are products that contain little to no fiber, vitamins and minerals to slow the absorption of the carbohydrate. As a result, the simple carbohydrates are rapidly absorbed into the blood by the body.
This gives a short peak in your sugar level.
After this short peak, you get an energy dip and you can feel very tired. You are often tired after eating.
The properties of simple carbohydrates:
- a short quick energy peak
- it costs the body little energy to process the carbohydrate
- after the peak an energy dip follows, you are tired and you long for carbohydrates again
Simple carbohydrates are products such as:
- white bread, rusks, pastries, cookies, pasta, pizza, potatoes
- chocolate, sprinkles, chocolate spread, chocolate milk
- jam, syrup
- beer, wine, energy drinks, soft drinks and all other beverages containing sugar
Complex carbohydrates are the opposite of simple carbohydrates. The carbohydrate has a complex structure and is packed with fibers, vitamins and minerals that slow the absorption of carbohydrate in the blood.
The properties of complex carbohydrates:
- the carbohydrate gradually gives energy
- it takes the body more energy to process the carbohydrate.
- due to the slow absorption, the body does not get an energy peak
- it takes longer before you are hungry again
Examples of complex carbohydrates:
- vegetables: spinach, endive, broccoli, kale, sprouts, green beans, cucumber, cauliflower, carrots, etc.
- wholemeal bread, rye bread
- sweet potatoes
Do you eat sandwiches with pasta or other simple carbohydrates all day long? Then perhaps that is the reason that you are always tired.
Your body only receives simple carbohydrates and you go from energy dip to energy dip, which makes you feel tired.
Replace simple with complex carbohydrates
Therefore, try to replace the simple carbohydrates with complex carbohydrates. This is how you replace simple complex carbohydrates:
- Start the day with a healthy breakfast with lots of protein and complex carbohydrates.
- Replace all simple complex carbohydrates at lunch and dinner.
- Take a healthy snack between meals at around 10 am and 3 pm.
Do this for a few days and see if you are still tired.
Do not eat too many carbs. An excess of complex carbohydrates can also cause a fatigue feeling (low on energy). Also, an excess of carbohydrates by the body is very easily stored as fat. Something you probably do not want ..
For more information about the differences between carbohydrates, you can read my article about simple and complex carbohydrates.
2. Always tired due to a lack of magnesium
If your body gets too little magnesium then you have a chance that you always feel tired.
The recommended daily amount of magnesium is around 300-400 mg. And magnesium ensures that all vitamins can do their work. Magnesium controls more than 300 enzymes so that processes in the body go well.
Magnesium deficiency can lead to fatigue. And most people do not meet the recommended daily amount of magnesium per day. And the body is unable to make magnesium itself. Magnesium must, therefore, be completely absorbed via the diet.
So see if you eat enough products that give your body the magnesium it needs. For enough energy and not always tired.
A list of products with magnesium:
- nuts such as almonds and cashew nuts
- vegetables such as spinach
- beans like black beans
- peanut butter
Pay attention to the peanut butter that you take a healthy variant without sugar and cheap oils!
3. Eat enough protein
The body has more work with digesting proteins than with carbohydrates. A meal with lots of protein ensures that you are satisfied for longer and have longer energy.
A good way to start the day is for example by making a big omelet with vegetables and some chicken or meat.
A healthy breakfast with egg
An omelet is a super breakfast! It is a healthy breakfast without bread and my personal favorite. I have more energy myself and I am satisfied with a protein-rich breakfast with an egg.
Whether it is a good breakfast for you can be discovered by making it a few mornings. How do you feel about it? Do you have more energy? That way you can see if a protein-rich breakfast is something for you!
The recipe is simple and you have it on the table in a few minutes!
- two eggs or 4 proteins if you do not want the yolk
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 100 grams (pre-cut) mushrooms
- 1-2 slices of turkey or chicken fillet in pieces
- a small teaspoon of chia seed
- little red pepper
- Melt some organic vegetable butter or coconut oil in the pan.
- Grab the mushrooms until they are nicely brown and in the meantime cut the peppers into small pieces.
- Add the bell peppers and possibly the chia seed and pepper and fry briefly. Beat the eggs in the meantime.
- Add the beaten eggs.
- Stir frequently and cook until the eggs are tender.
And finished! In 10 minutes a delicious healthy breakfast with egg which gives your fat burning a kickstart!
The recipe delivers a big omelet so it is a recipe without bread. Do you still want bread? Then take one slice of wholemeal bread.
All ingredients in this recipe are specially chosen to get your metabolism and fat burning started. To make it complete, add another tasty cup of green tea. Green tea stimulates fat burning!
With such a breakfast you get enough protein and complex carbohydrates to make a good start with enough energy!
4. No more tired due to sufficient iron
Another mineral that you should look out for when you have fatigue symptoms is iron. A shortage of iron can also cause fatigue and a faint feeling.
You can eat super healthy. If you have a shortage of iron, you still feel tired.
Especially women have to watch out for sufficient iron. Women lose a lot of iron during menstruation. Therefore, the recommended daily amount of iron for women is about 15 – 18 mg and for men only 8 mg.
Therefore, make sure that you have enough products in your diet that provide your body with iron.
A list of iron-rich foods:
- Meat such as steak and pork tenderloin
- Green vegetables
- (White) beans
- Dark chocolate
5. Fatigue symptoms due to a vitamin B deficiency
A vitamin B deficiency can also lead to fatigue symptoms. Vitamin B is one of the most important vitamins for your body.
It is responsible for the production of red blood cells and proper functioning of the nervous system.
Make sure that you always eat enough products with vitamin B. Vitamin B is only in animal products, such as:
- Meat, pork contains a lot of vitamin B1
- Fish, fatty fish provides vitamin B12
6. Ensure sufficient Water intake
Water does not directly provide energy for your body. It supports all processes that give your body energy.
If you drink too little water, this can have various negative effects. You can feel tiredness, get headaches or get dizzy.
Make sure that your body gets enough water inside. Try to drink about 1.5 liters of water every day.
If you drink enough you can never confuse thirst for hunger. Something that suits you well if you want to lose weight!
Do this for a few days and feel the difference!
Try to get 1.5 liters from healthy drinks such as water, mineral water, coffee and tea. Skip the soft drink, energy drink and fruit drinks. They are very unhealthy for you!
In this article, I have given you 6 ways to defeat fatigue with food. Take advantage of it and defeat your tiredness!
Check out these protein bars!!
Have many options also Vegetarian, Vegan and Gluten-free!
Important: Leave your reaction and any additions below.
If you like this blog, share it with your friends, customers, colleagues – Tommy